Thursday, March 01, 2007

The Year of the Boar

According to the Chinese zodiac, which is represented by animals, this year is the year of the boar.



Legend says that the rat was given the task of inviting the all the animals to report to the Jade Emperor for a banquet to be selected for the zodiac signs. The first twelve animals to report to the Jade Emperor is selected. At that time, the cat was a good friend of the rat, but the rat tricked him into believing that the banquet was the next day. In the end, the cat slept through the banquet, thinking that it was the next day. When he found out, the cat vowed to be the rat's natural enemy since then. In the end, the animals that turned out are rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, goat, monkey, rooster, dog and the the boar being the last. That's just a brief summary on how the year of the boar came especially to the non-Chinese and there're a lot of other versions of it.




This year is quite special to me as I went back to my hometown, Kuching, on the first day of Chinese New Year which I never did before. Thanks to the tempting RM9.90 air ticket and my careless mistake. While everyone is enjoying their delicious reunion dinner with their family, I had to go to the nearest food stall to settle my own dinner, which is...



Nasi Putih Ayam Kunyit.

No comments: